Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Week 2: Locke Blog Posts

Book I of Locke's Essay is devoted to a critique of innatism, or nativism, which is the thesis that certain ideas or principles come pre-programmed in the human mind (or if you don't like the computational metaphor than just think of us as being born with these ideas or principles).

What, in your opinion, is the best possible candidate example of an innate idea? After settling on a best possible example, give a brief argument that attempts to show that your best candidate really is innate. (The point of this is to get you to understand the strengths of the innatist/nativist thesis so that you can understand why Locke might think it worthy of criticism.)

Those in the (a) group should click on 'comments' below to comment to this as per the class syllabus. Email me with any questions.

28 comments:

  1. I think that self-preservation is an appropriate example of innatism. This idea was exemplified with a developmental psychology study using a "visual cliff". Infants were placed on a glass table that appeared to drop to the floor midway through. Here is a picture, as it is difficult to explain: http://encarta.msn.com/media_461547576/visual_cliff_experiment.html.
    This study shows that babies were reluctant to venture off the "cliff" - even though glass would have supported them. Children develop their depth perception at around 6 months and many psychologists believe that depth perception is also an innate idea. The concept of self-preservation is clear to any child who has developed their dimensional perceptions! Evolutionism also supports this theory: we would not be here today if it wasn't for the careful behavior of the first humans. Nobody taught Adam and Eve to watch their backs, they just did it.

    (here is a video of the visual cliff experiment: http://www.vimeo.com/77934)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple mathematics is a seemingly innate concept. If one is carrying an apple, then picks another apple from a tree, he is then carrying two apples. This is true regardless of which number system is in use, the language used to define the object or numbers, or the culture in which this course of action takes place. One plus one is always two no matter how it is described. There is no experience needed to prove this. It is inherent in our understanding from birth. We understand and realize the multiplicity of objects even before we learn the skills with which to discuss their multiplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will say that knowledge of possession is the best innate idea. What I mean by "knowledge of possession" pertains to whom/what a particular property or set of properties belongs.
    For example, I know that I possess some faculty or know something in possession of a faculty/faculties outside of sense experience (ie.: Reason [I know through reflection] and the attributes of God [through knowledge of what "God" is; through definition].) Also, I know that some possessions, whether material or ideological, either belong to a shared individual species/sub-species or to particular individual things/beings; the opposite of this would be not knowing the possessor(s) of said faculties/properties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will say the best innate idea is that 'life is valuable'. I like MaryBryn's idea of self-preservation, but I feel it can be taken a step further back. Before the desire to stay alive can arise, it seems that a baby has to know that it is alive now. The self-preservation instinct seems based on the premise that one innately knows two things: that one exists and that one's existence is conditional. Wouldn't it take less energy to not care whether one lives or dies and not have a self-preservation instinct? The fact that we do self-preserve, and at any cost sometimes, seems to imply that we innately know that there's something worth preserving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe the best innate idea is that of the self. I was aware of MY needs, MY life, before I was ever aware of anyone else. This seems to be the simplest form of an innate idea. I live in my world and observe things through my senses. But, they all trace back to myself. I am the one doing these actions. I know that I am doing these things, as I am in my own head. This idea of the self must be innate because we must be aware of our own being, first and foremost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems to me that, without citing some concept of ethereal, ‘spiritual’ knowledge, the only innate, ‘pre-programmed’ ideas that we can discuss are those that stem from characteristics which evolved (due to natural or sexual selection) and those spandrels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spandrel_(biology)) which came with them. In other words, when I think of innate knowledge, I think of those concepts which have proven so useful over the course of human evolution that they have become part of our very DNA. There are a plethora of examples involving self-preservation, some have been brought up (fear of heights). Other interesting ideas include: that fats and sugars taste good (it’s advantageous for a species with limited food supplies to be attracted to foods which are long lasting fuels), a baby’s attraction to its parents (and visa-versa), and even the value of the lives of family members over strangers’ (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_selection).
    Applying this concept to mathematical knowledge, one might argue that our belief in the effectiveness of math does not stem from some innate conduit to truth that we are born with, but rather is a reflection of some evolved characteristic that pushes us to seek effective means to true beliefs. It may not be that we are not born with mathematical knowledge, merely a desire to seek truth. What constitutes an effective truth-seeking method may be, on this model, an empirical question.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great! Well done, all. Tyler's example of basic addition seems tough to deny. All the others are very good too. Note for those yet to post: if your example replicates one of the above, that is fine, because eventually we might run out of candidates. Just give an argument in your own words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best innate idea that I can think of is the idea of relation to others. From the moment one is born, they stand and react in relation to others. Almost all actions and ideas, even self-preservation, often concern a relationship with others. As the idea of relation to others is unavoidable, it seems as if the concept must be innate. An example of an action performed in light of the idea of relation to others is a child's crying as it is born. Crying is a means of communication. Communication only exists for the purpose of relationships with others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe the fear of death is an innate idea: even without directly seeing death or knowing the definition of death, starting at young ages humans perform behaviors that aid in survival. Babies cry to alert caretakers they need to be fed; older beings respond to crisis with flight or fight depending on the severity of the situation. Relating to ideas on self-preservation, these actions may have been learned over time through evolution, thus not directly innate. Such instincts are reactions to potentially dangerous situations that are ultimately prompted by an innate anxiety of looming death.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Tyler. Basic arithmetic seems to be innate; whether it has come about through an evolutionary process or by other means is another issue (which I do not think anybody could logically conclude at this point in time). Regardless, there has and probably currently is research being conducted about human brains being "hard-wired" for math. One example can be seen here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14254290/. It appears that even infants have the ability to recognize simple mathematical operations. At this point in an infant's life, there cannot be a strong argument in favor of experience providing this mathematical knowledge. I also agree with Tyler in that math doesn't require language cognition. Whatever language system or lack of a system is in place, it does not change the fact that 2+2=4: it is a universal truth. Even if the whole human race was wiped out, it seems that this operation would still hold to be true. I also believe that this innate ability can be stretched out to include animals in some respect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The innate idea that seems to be popular with most of us here, including myself, is the idea of self-preservation/ fear of death/ the value of life. However you phrase this idea it seems to the best candidate for an idea that we were pre-programmed with. As stated, babies cry for food so they do not starve, and all people will go to extreme lengths in order to preserve their own life: many instances of cannibalism (an extreme social taboo) were due to starvation. Even so, this idea of self-preservation is somewhat problematic for me because I’m not sure where the line between biological responses and innate ideas really is, or if there is a line at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Regarding Tyler's idea of basic arithmetic: I heard somewhere that the Roman numeral system arose out of our 'innate' ability to discern I from II from III immediately, which is why at four it moves on to IV instead of IIII.

    P.S. I question the idea that 2+2=4 is a universal truth. Although math appears to have a certain absoluteness to it, it seems to be a system for manipulating symbols rather than realities themselves. The rules of manipulating symbols may be impenetrable, but what about when reality can't be symbolized, such as qualia?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is too interesting not to post. Here's an article about an Amazonian tribe whose language does not have words for numbers.
    Here's a quote: "...this study establishes that number words are a concept, which is not an innate part of human language, but is developed by human cultures because of their need."

    http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/sports/the-amazon-tribe-that-speaks-language-without-numbers_10073103.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Following the track of Becca's comment, it seems to me that the line between biological responses and innate ideas really does not need to exist. Our immediate inclination towards self-preservation and basic arithmetic could easily be defined as a biological response to our environment and not an innate concept. The question I have to pose is what exactly is an idea? Are ideas uniquely human? If ideas are uniquely human then self-preservation could not be an innate idea because animals have the same inclination. On the other hand, if all animals can have ideas, then it seems to me that innate ideas can not exist, all that can exist is an inherent set of biological responces

    ReplyDelete
  15. From what Luke and Becca are saying, I also have a problem with classifying instincts (actions geared toward self preservation etc) as ideas. Since the concept of an idea, or what it is to have a complete idea is hugely disputed, its difficult to equivocate or distinguish the two. A rationalist might say that to have a complete idea is to know everything about which you are thinking, where in a colloquial sense to have an idea of something is to get the “gist” of it but not necessarily be an expert. I would be inclined to say that simple calculation is the most innate idea since it is easy to say that someone, upon first experience, can judge that two objects are more than one. But how do we know that that is not something instinctual in itself? Also, it seems like if you have never held two objects in your life, you may not have the idea that more than one could exist. Thus, it seems that experience may even be necessary for something so basic as knowing “relations”…I think that’s what Aristotle called them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As an ex-linguistics major I feel a compulsion to bring up linguistic faculty as an example. I'm basically regurgitating Noam Chomsky's theory of universal grammar here. The argument goes that while the ability to speak properly is in large part empirically derived, there is a universal set of fundamental and very basic grammatical rules in place at birth; these rules are what allow children to learn a more specific language, with all of that language's complexities and variability, at a very fast rate. In other words, language is developed or fleshed out by environment, but not, at its core, created by it.
    It's not the same sort of 'idea' as the examples Locke gives (it doesn't make as catchy a maxim!); it's a more modern, scientific spin on innatism.

    ReplyDelete
  17. For me, I feel that I agree with Kristina. The idea of "Me" is the closest concept that I will call innate. Baby's may not be conscious of themselves in a Cartesian sense but they know that they are hungry; they know when they are tired. Nevertheless, ought these be categorized as "innate ideas" or are these simply examples of instincts? I think it fair to say that these are instincts and, thus, are not within the domain of "ideas," as Locke uses the word.

    ReplyDelete
  18. To follow the prompt, the self-preservation is my best candidate for an innate idea. This does not mean that it is the only one. As others have mentioned, love for parents/community and math may be innate as well. If the mind has an innate sense of mathematics than does it have one for art? I wonder this as I think of babies clapping and grooving to music as good as any adult and when they will laugh louder than grown men. How can a baby understand what is comedic? I watched this video of a baby laughing while ripping paper. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXXm696UbKY
    Why is he laughing? In the sound of the paper he finds something unexpected but he does not despair he laughs. Is this innate?
    Look at this baby dancing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2zoRAASOE4
    How does he know what to do! Is rhythm innate? I guess it may explain why I am a drummer

    ReplyDelete
  19. The closest thing to an "innate idea" according to Locke's definition would be understanding. The idea of understanding is something that can't really be taught or learned. Something along the lines of: you can be taught and can learn, but you can't be taught to learn. It's seems like something that exists out of necessity. Understanding is the base on which knowledge is built.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with the idea of self-preservation being and 'innate idea' as many others have already brought up. From the beginning, the goal of survival has always been instinct. What is needed to preserve one's self will always be sought after without concious thought. Like all forms of life, we do what is necessary to survive or in most cases as we have evolved, make life easier.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would venture to purport that the "best possible candidate example of an innate idea" is (as others have said) the need to self-preserve. This includes the need for food, sleep, etc. The notion that "one exists and one's existence is conditional" seems inherently tied to sentient beings innate experience of life. However whether this will to survive is truly intellectually innate or if it is, perhaps more likely, a biological response to physiological needs, I am unsure. More significantly, the line between intellectual innate understanding and biological perception is ambiguous.
    On a slightly different note, I find it interesting that Locke uses the terms "stamped" and "soul" in his definition of innate principles: "It is an established opinion amongst some men, that there are in the understanding certain innate principles; some primary notions, characters, as it were stamped upon the mind of man, which the soul receives in its very first being; and brings into the world with it" (I, ii, 7). "Stamped" sounds forceful rather than innate. And "soul", wow, that is certainly a loaded concept.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think that the ability to distinguish between 1, 2, and 3, seems to be the best example of an innate ability. Studies have shown that even infants are able to make this distinction.

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Infant-Babies-Know-How-to-Count-18032.shtml

    However, I'm not completely convinced that this ability is or includes counting. While studies like this show that infants know that 3 is different than 2, I'm not sure they show if/that infants know that 3 is more than 2, or that there is an order 1, 2, 3.

    ReplyDelete
  23. After reading through all of the posts and spotting bfisher's about communication with others I thought that would be one innate idea. But after thinking that some may never want to communicate with others due to shyness or something else that prevents them I can only see that inner thoughts are innate. That as infants at least they have inner thoughts about the world that they never need to express to anyone else.

    The continuing thread of self-preservation also doesn't seem to be plausible as some infants will starve to death because of not asking for food or eating it. And in the adult world many commit suicide. If this was innate then everyone would have it and follow it. The only thing that fits those categories seems to me to be inner thoughts and that alone.

    ReplyDelete
  24. In a recent course on developmental psychology, we were taught that the first evidence of an "innate response" was an infant's preferences of taste (disliking sour, enjoying sweet). This was to broadly explain that from birth, infants have preferences that reflect their innate knowledge of substances that are helpful to their nourishment and thus, their survival. So, one could argue, the desire to continue one's species is among the most primary ideas considered innate. Taking a cultural relativist perspective, it would be basically impossible to find any culture anywhere that does not value living and survival. Although it does not eliminate the question of whether or not innate ideas exist, it certainly poses a problem for Locke's complete refutation of any universal knowledge. Indeed, even infants and idiots seem to want to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  25. When thinking about innate ideas i believe that probably things like breathing could be construed as innate. however that kind of depends on how you construe idea. if an idea has to be something that is recognized within the mind, then instinct and automatic things like breathing cannot count. perhaps ideas like "that is hot" could be innate, you are recognizing an individual property of an object. i am sure that you do not need words or any other accessory knowledge to know that one thing is different than that other thing. so perhaps seeing difference could be innate.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't think that there is anything that I would describe as an innate idea. Things like feeding, and feeling seem to be instincts rather than "innate ideas" and I think anything else is derived from experience.

    As soon as you are born you gain some sort of orientation in the world, recognizing up from down and different spatial dimensions seems like it would be the result of experiencing spatial dimensions, rather than an innate idea. I think that nurture is pretty much winning the nature/nurture argument as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Like MikeElias, I believe we are born with this concept of the self. We recognize our existence instantly and act accordingly. Likewise I think we have original ideas bout "the other" existing in space and concepts of time and through evolution have expanded such ideas and their definitions. We now understand the importance of community, cooperation with the community, and establishing our role within it. Locke has very convincing arguments against innate ideas, which in relation to things like morals and ethics, it makes plenty of sense(we have to be told what is appropriate and what isn't, and this often varies from society to society). Every time I strive to imagine innate ideas like space and time, I cant help but conclude everything we perceive or do is in accordance with how things appear and what our senses tell us to do. Recognizing the self may be as simple as looking down at birth and seeing our feet, leading to a brain function telling us to wiggle a toe. Then we see a mother figure who feeds us, and nurtures us, triggering the mother/child bond. In terms of evolution, I feel like we learn from our senses leading future generations to learn from mistakes. This makes me want to make the leap, that if self preservation is an innate idea then how is it life expectancy has progressively increased over the centuries. Our senses tell us to do certain things but not everything. We learn from passed mistakes and advance. A baby may avoid what appears to be a cliff but seconds later may put its hand into a lions mouth only to be swallowed whole. Other babies may realize the absence of their fellow cliff hanger and avoid the giant cat, expanding on their alleged "innate idea to self preserve" and increasing the maximum age of life expectancy every second they learn and live.

    ReplyDelete
  28. To argue against my argument, it may be said that it is in fact such an innate idea as self preservation that forces us to learn from our mistakes. What is it that tells us that being eaten is a bad thing? This may hint at some sort of innate concept.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.